Sunday, November 11, 2012

The Blessing of the Spirit

July 16, 2012

The past week has been full of hard work! London has around 60,000 students here in the school year. During the summer there is obviously a LOT less than that, and seeing that we're working in a YSA branch, we've had to be extra creative with our finding and other work we do here. We've been pushed hard and stretched to find people to teach. We've tried SO many different finding ideas and approaches. We've taken every avenue we know of to find people to baptize. It feels at times that our efforts are falling on stony soil. It’s amazing to see that through all of this I've developed more Christ-like attributes, better teaching skills, and more love and dedication to my Savior than I have ever had before. I love this sacred work and the wondrous blessings of the Atonement that flow to anyone who is involved in it.

The Chinese girl we have come so far with moved back to China this week. We knocked on her door my first week in London back in February, we taught her all throughout the school year, she gained a testimony of Christ and His Atonement by feeling her nature change, but still was not able to muster enough faith to be baptized. She has moved back to china, but will be returning back in September for the next 4 years to finish University in London. She will be baptized in the future. I love such genuine Christ-like love for those whom I teach. I want them to experience the blessings of the Atonement of the Lord. My mission has helped me love this great province and the great people here. Not only that, but I have experienced profound love for people of all ethnic backgrounds as I've served in the most multi-cultural city in the world. My companions have taught me so much as well as both of my mission presidents. I know this mission call was inspired and the Lord has had His hand in my service.

One of the greatest gifts I have been thinking about lately is the blessing of recognizing the identifying the spirit. I have developed this as a missionary, as I am sure many others have. It is easy to feel the presence of the Holy Ghost. I've learned exactly what I need to do to keep its close presence. I'm grateful for its quiet promptings that shows me how to make a great difference in the lives of others.

Elder Porter

No comments:

Post a Comment