Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Still Finding Time to Teach

October 6, 2012

Good morning! It is just about 11am here in the beautiful GTA (greater Toronto area). I love it here. The leaves are beautiful colors of red, orange, gold, yellow, green, and a hint of silver and brown. It is gorgeous. The air is crisp most mornings, and a relaxing mist often accompanies the breaking of dawn. I'll miss this blessed land forever when I leave.

The mission had its semi-annual temple trip this morning. We had a few zone leader companionships stay over at our place last night, and we arose early and attended an endowment session. I was able to visit with many missionaries I have served closely with in the past 22 months. I love them all! The Lord really allowed me to see how dependant I have been on His plan. I would be nothing without Him and Him managing all that goes on around me. I'm so grateful and happy for him transforming my nature and giving me strength to develop His attributes and know how to share His gospel with others.

What a great week it has been! Very, very busy. Most of our time over the next few weeks is filled with exchanging different zone leader companionships around the mission. We are planning to spend time with all 10 of the zone leader companionships this transfer. We have traveled and exchanged London, Kitchener, Hamilton, and Brampton thus far. It is a huge treat to learn from the best Elders in the mission and some of the Lord's finest.

President and Sister Scott, Elder Green, and I were able to hold a Zone Leader Council meeting a few days back. The meeting had a focus on planning, setting goals, and instructing missionaries how to be effective with their time. I absolutely love instructing in a venue like this one. Every missionary is eager to learn, and the spirit is strong because everyone is seeking its guidance. I feel comfortable in my role and feel the Lord lift me beyond where I stand by myself at times to set the example I am supposed to for others. What a great opportunity!

Even with the crazy schedule that we have, we are still making room to proselyte and teach. Finishing out the last few months of my mission and still being able to directly lead others to Christ is a remarkable blessing! I had one of the most powerful lessons of my mission this week with an investigator preparing for baptism on Oct. 14. She has felt the spirit enter her life strongly as she has developed habits of scripture reading, prayer, and as she has begun living the commandments. She had major concerns about being baptized, because she has bad feelings towards her mother. She wants to be free of any sort of bad feelings or bad habits before her baptism. As she was expressing her thoughts, I prayed to know how, with my companion, to resolve her concerns. The last 3 verses of Matthew11 came to mind quickly and distinctly. The Lord says "Come unto me...." and be relieved of burdens, fears, inadequacy, and be sustained by God's love. As she read those 3 verses herself she broke down into tears. She was so deeply touched as the spirit taught her that following Christ is the way to be healed. She repeated the words "Come unto me" and we invited her to follow His example and be baptized. She accepted and is excitedly working towards it. She is one of the most spiritually prepared and mature people I've taught my entire mission. She will make a strong kingdom builder and an amazing convert.

All in all, I am continually humbled to be where I am. I feel the spirit working through me to lift investigators, missionaries, and others closer to the Savior. I know the message I share is true. I love my mission, my companion, my experiences here, and my Savior.

Until next week!  -E. Porter

No comments:

Post a Comment