Sunday, November 11, 2012

Staying with Elder Hancock!

June 25, 2012

Transfers are rolling and rolling. The time is speeding up quicker than I thought possible. Months seem like days and seasons are all meshed together. I love Ontario and the people here. I love the university students which I get to associate with daily. I love the gospel and the converting power of the Atonement. I love the missionaries in my zone and the good companion I've been blessed with.

Last night was transfer night-nearly all the companionships in the London zone are changing. We got a call as well, but we were told that we are STAYING together for transfer number 6! We aren't even shocked that we're still together anymore. We make such a seamless team. We've become best friends and love where we are at. We will serve together for this coming transfer, and then Elder Hancock will end his mission and head home to Arizona. I may be in London this coming September when school starts up again! It will be exciting to see 60,000 students come flooding into the city after the summer.

The past 2 weeks have been very interesting in the work here in our YSA area! We've had so many good things going on. As was predicted, when the most good is happening, that is when Satan is working his hardest to stunt the work and tear down the things that have been built up. Here is a rundown on what is happening in our area.

There is a young Chinese girl who we've been seeing since I got here in February. She is been to church every Sunday except one. I have never seen an investigator have more knowledge about the gospel as she has. She has felt the power of the Atonement of Christ after repenting of things she knows is wrong. She is make changes in her life and has felt the spirit witness to her that the gospel is true. Her family is opposed to the church, and for one reason or another she has not decided to be baptized. She will go back to China in 2 weeks for the summer and then come back to London in September. She wants to wait and re-evaluate when she returns. It’s been absolutely heartbreaking to see her not accept the light and direction she has received. I know the Lord will continue to work with her.

Another Chinese student we are working with is close to baptism! She is living all the commandments right now and has felt the spirit as she has developed a habit of scripture reading and prayer. It’s amazing to see and feel the spirit that comes as people begin to develop a relationship with Heavenly Father through their first prayers. This is one of my favorite parts of my mission. I know the Lord is mindful of us because of the spirit that is felt as we expand our relationship with God.

We have many progressing investigators who have fallen off the map in the past week for various reasons. Randomly moving and changing universities, having problem living or accepting certain commandments, being scared of commitment, and not keeping commitments. It’s hard to see baptisms so close and then watch them move away and move backwards. Agency is a hard thing to completely respect sometimes. It’s so important to be filled with Christ-like love in this work or you will never succeed. I know the spirit is the single most important element in missionary work and in life if we are looking for success.

My testimony is continuing to expand. I've found specific answers to my prayers. The spirit can answer our questions, prompt us to develop in a certain direction, give us peace and comfort, and teach us new truths. I have experienced all of these things during my mission. I know that we must be born again to experience the true joy that the Lord has in store for those who diligently follow and seek to obey His commandments.

E. Porter

No comments:

Post a Comment