Sunday, November 18, 2012

Elder Hancock Goes Home

August 20, 2012

Well, the work keeps rolling on! After 9 months of serving with Elder Hancock we were finally split up! Johnny Hancock is on to new and different things in life as he's going to BYU in a few weeks. Being split up was really, really tough. We were together for so long that we had everything down to a science in our zone, area, and companionship. Things were very difficult for the first week or so. Very stressful. Running a zone is tough work, but now that Elder Burgess is getting used to things, it is a lot better. Elder Burgess is a GREAT missionary. He is very young, only 7.5 months and is the youngest zone leader in nearly 2 years. He has a lot of talent but also has a lot to learn. Our teaching is becoming unified as we've practiced and studied together over the past weeks, and we have faith that we'll see success together. I love my mission and the opportunity I have to learn how to adapt to changes even as small and simple as this one.

Over the past week we were on the road a bit! Our zone is big enough that we get to travel and spend days in other areas when we conduct companion exchanges. We held two separate zone training meetings in two different locations to accommodate the distance. The zone is building now to have a great month of September.

We have seen several miracles in our area this week! With the lack of students over the past few months, YSA work has been a bit tricky. I really feel like the Lord is trying to teach me something with the lack of visible success. We have a great investigator who we've been teaching for several weeks now come to church yesterday for the first time! We visited him last night and had a great lesson, and he committed to work towards baptism on September 9th! He is beginning to recognize changes that come as one qualifies for the Holy Ghost in their life more and more. Seeing others make these changes only helps my testimony expand as I see the fruits of the gospel in the lives of people around me.

Over the past months my testimony of fasting has grown. I have huge faith that by fasting for a specific purpose with a meek attitude, the Lord's will can be manifest in our life. The Lord has answered my prayers and fast from this past week and taught me exactly what I need to do to fulfill His will. Focusing on others TRULY is the way that we find ourselves. Jesus said it from the beginning. Those who lose their life for His sake will find it. I've experienced this and I know it is a true principle.

Most of our time lately has been filled with finding. We're downtown mostly, YSA hunting. There are a few apartment buildings that still have lots of student that we knock frequently. It is amazing to see the Lord allow you to achieve your goals as you set them in faith. Faith is the key!

Until next week,

Elder Porter

No comments:

Post a Comment