Sunday, November 18, 2012

School Has Started!

September 10, 2012

School has finally officially started! We are busy again. It is nice to see that my faith or work ethic hasn't changed even now that the summer is over and there are lots more YSA to find and teach. My faith in this area and in the Lord's work has remained constant, despite challenges or brief moments of discouragement in the past. We are happy to be more busy and associating more with the members now that they are back and ready for school and willing to be involved in missionary work.

This past week at church we had 6 nonmembers! It was the best turnout we've had in a few months. We've been really focusing on trying to meet the friends and acquaintances of our investigators. YSA are so open minded with ideas and are willing to share and do missionary work-even our investigators. We had 4 investigators at church and 2 of them each brought a friend.

With all the students moving back in over the last couple weeks, we tried to think of how we could take advantage of the situation. We thought up the idea of helping students move in/out for free. We posted flyers stating that we could help anyone move for a few hours, and we had 5 or 6 people call us with a need for help! In our first move, we helped 4 Nigerian PHD students move in. 2 of whom we have return appointments with to share the gospel. The Lord will always provide with a way for us to be successful if we work hard and ask him for help.

At this point in my mission it is no secret that I've been out for a long time. I don't think about it very often, and don't really want to either. Last week I had my last zone conference and was asked to give my testimony as one of the "departing missionaries". It is tough to see all this begin to come to a close. Over the past several months I've been praying daily and fasting often to be able to completely let go of myself, and surrender everything I have to the Lord. I've had special times when I feel my desires be taken away and are replaced with what the Lord wants. Jesus Christ felt this many times I am sure, and it is possible for us to "suffer the will of the Father", and have our will swallowed up in His, as Christ did. His Atonement makes this possible. It allows us to have a change of heart. I know strongly that this power is real. I've been transformed as a missionary and know that it is by His power.

Many of our investigators have potential to be baptized in the coming weeks and months. We are working towards baptismal dates with a few of them. I'll have a good report next week!

Love,

Elder Porter

No comments:

Post a Comment