Sunday, November 18, 2012

A New Assignment

September 22, 2012

It has been a week full of excitement and full of changes! As the transfer was ending last week I knew that getting a call to another area was a pretty big possibility seeing that I had been in London for 7+ months. Transfer calls are usually on Sunday evening, but on Thursday morning President Scott called. He extended a call for me to serve as his new assistant. One of the assistants was leaving at the end of this week and I was chosen to fill his position!

Thursday and Friday was a day full of goodbyes to converts, members from London 2nd ward and London YSA branch, and investigators. It was sad to leave the city that I love so much. I spent over 10 months of my mission in that blessed place. I'll love it forever and will always tie many memories of my mission with the amazing people there. Friday evening we met up with the assistants and I left with Elder Henderson and Elder Green. For the next few days we slaved in the office to prepare for transfers. There is so much work associated with preparing a mission for transfers. President Scott is so inspired. On Sunday evening I was able to make transfer calls to about 25 companionships. I think everyone wonders what it is like to be on the other side of those calls, and now I know!

With incoming missionaries on Monday and departing missionaries on Tuesday, I have been to the airport 6 times in the last week. Picking up the new group of incoming missionaries was a blast. The 3 of us assistants each drove a transfer van (15 seater) to the airport and loaded up the 21 new missionaries. We look them to the stake centre, office, and mission home for various orientation and training. I remember so vividly and distinctly those first few hours and days in Ontario. It’s a true blessing to be a part of those memories for the new Elders and Sisters. Being a part of the departing instruction and departing testimony meeting for the outgoing missionaries was equally as special.

The past week has been a blurry haze of activity. Getting up early and going to bed late for various things wears on you when it is "go go" go all day long. Being able to assist the key holder in running the mission is a great and sacred responsibility. I can feel I am learning and growing in ways I couldn't from any other assignment. I'm humbled as I am having new weaknesses shown to me and as I see a different view of the greatness and glory of God. I love Him and am grateful to serve in this capacity for the remainder of my mission experience.

E. Porter

No comments:

Post a Comment