Sunday, November 6, 2011

September 26, 2011

I don't have much to say this week. Mission life is a roller coaster. Tough times are the only way to progress-the only way to learn the next required lesson of mortality is to be stretched. The Lord allows us to struggle to be lead by the spirit in all things because it helps us grow stronger.

I had a great personal experience this past week. It felt as though Satan was buffeting me all week-implanting doubts and questions into my mind. At the end of one of the days, I got home, we planned, and I started in with my personal routine of writing in my journal, getting ready for bed, and praying. When it came time to pray, I was so overwhelmed I didn't even know what to say. It came down to the fact that I was in a situation or a state of mind where I could not go any further by myself. I couldn't. I was at a point where it was necessary that I either quit, or received divine support, enabling power, or what people sometimes call "grace". At the height of my plea for support I felt a very subtle particle of peace in my heart. It grew until my spirit could taste it. As Joseph Smith has taught, we as God's children can know when we are receiving divine truth, support, or knowledge because our soul can taste it in a similar way that our tongue would taste a piece of fruit. Our soul and spirit recognize the touch of Divinity, and can know of its reality when we experience it. It is tangible. It is real. The peace grew until it spread and gave me a new-found sense of direction and peace that I sometimes need in the frail uncelestial state of development I am struggling to progress through.

It is a small and simple lesson. I must bear my testimony. I know Heavenly Father answers prayers. I know that His love is far reaching, and as we do all we can, "grace", divine support, or enabling power will carry us the rest of the way.

On another note, city life in Toronto is still pretty intense. We are teaching all day every day. Except for the hours that we spend in the car. Its ridiculous. Still trying to solve the puzzle of being 100% effective. We're working with some great investigators. One has a solid baptismal date of October 16! Her name is Jackie-she's from Guyana. We're also working with a Japanese YSA girl named Yoko. She is here alone working in Toronto doing an internship of some sort. She was found through the chruch's ESl program that we teach at. She is progressing and will be baptized sooner than later if we can help the spirit touch her heart in the right way. The work is exciting! Its the greatest thing I've ever done, and I will miss it dearly, more than words can express, when I can't put on my tag every morning. I treasure this time I have to serve the Lord with all my energy.

I love and support all who I have known throughout my life that have helped me become who I am today.

-E. PORTER

No comments:

Post a Comment