Sunday, November 6, 2011

September 16, 2011

Finally an update on my new life in the city!

Just 2 weeks ago I was in Brampton with the missionary that I was training-Elder Wendt. We had a great time together and learned lots of good lessons. Brampton treated me well. A perfect ward, a perfect area, and lots of success. Fantastic way to learn about the joys of missionary work. I got my transfer call to the Don Valley ward in the city, and that’s where I've been for the past 2 weeks.

I was transferred to serve with Elder Ondre Tomsik! He is 20, and he's from the Czech Republic. He is only 1 of 3 missionaries from the whole country. He was baptized 2 years ago and left a life of worldly pursuits and crime for the higher lifestyle of following the gospel of Jesus Christ. His story of accepting the gospel and being converted to the high law is truly an amazing one. Elder Tomsik is a big man. He is taller than me by about a half an inch, but is a lot heavier. He is actually assigned to be a Spanish missionary, but he's also doing Czech work and English work-so he's a trilingual missionary. Pretty intense.

Our area is just north of the "city" city of Toronto. It consists of almost solid high-rise buildings and heavy commercial areas. There are always people no matter where you go-lots different than in either of my past areas. With the city being different than the towns, the work is also different. I haven't knocked a door since I've been here. We've been teaching, and doing other forms of finding such as hosting activities at the church like sport nights, F.H.E., and teaching English. I am an ESL (English second language) teacher, which is awesome. I love it! We've had 2 new investigators in the past two weeks from it, so whatever is effective is worth doing I guess....

Our area is really unique, because just a few weeks ago it was two areas that were combined into one. We have 2 area books, 2 sets of lists of investigators, we had 2 phones for a while...it was crazy. There is so much to do there honestly isn't time to "find" in the traditional way. It’s nice but a little different as well. Rush hour is our worst enemy so we've needed to learn new ways to be effective, it’s been interesting.

The ward is nice...lots of great and humble people. The ward is VERY unique...there are 6 missionaries in the ward. 2 English, and 4 FARSI! There are only 4 Farsi speaking missionaries in the world, and they are all in our ward. The ward is about 50% Persian (Iranian, Afganastanian, middle-eastern). It’s crazy! Lots of Phillipino as well. The Caucasian people are definitely the minority, so it’s a little different. The Farsi missionaries teach mostly Muslims, and actually baptize more than any other missionary companionships in the whole mission. It’s a really interesting situation.

A great principle that I have the privilege of learning in this area is simply that there is always a lesson we can learn! No matter what situation or circumstance you are in, the Lord always has given it to you to learn. Isn't it great? Everything we deal with is for our benefit, even if we cannot immediately see so or see how. Just as 2Nephi2:2 teaches us, "[we know] the greatness of God; and he shall consecrate [our] afflictions for [our] gain"! Think about what an amazing promise we have received from a loving God. If we obey the gospel and keep the commandments, no matter how bad things get, 100% of the time everything will end up being for our gain. I know this principle is true. I myself often get discouraged or have moments of doubt or fear, but I know that if you push forward, endure just a little longer, be diligent a little longer, then the promised progression and blessings will come. God always keeps His promises. I know that to be true.

Continue to pray for the missionaries around the world. We are crippled without heavens support.

-E. PORTER

No comments:

Post a Comment