Monday, February 28, 2011

February 28, 2011


I have successfully completed my second transfer here in the mission field! It amazed me week after week how fast time goes by. The time we have to serve our master as full time missionaries is extremely short and limited. I am so grateful for the opportunity I have been blessed with to learn how to do His work in His way.

The mission received transfer calls last night...and my good companion has a new assignment! He has been assigned to Leamington, which is east-ish of Detroit. In his place, I will receive a new companion tomorrow, his name is Elder Williams. He is actually in my Zone, but does not serve in the city of London. He has been serving in Tillsonburg and will be coming up to serve with me in the great London 2nd ward area. I will be here either 6 more weeks, or 3 more months. Either is realistic, and we won't know until the transfer calls come next transfer. I am very excited to learn from an experienced Elder, and to learn all the lessons that my Heavenly Father has in store for me.

Today I feel like I should share a quote by Henry B. Eyring that I got a hold of yesterday. It is called ....

"The Fellowship of the UNASHAMED"

I am a part of the fellowship of the unashamed. The dye has been cast. I have stepped over the line. The decision has been made. I am a disciple of Jesus Christ. I won't look back, let up, slow down, or be still. My past is redeemed, my present makes sense, and my future is secure. I'm finished and done with low living, small planning, smooth knees, color-less dreams, tamed visions, worldly talking, cheap giving, and dwarfed goals. I no longer need pre-eminence, positions, promotions, plaudits, or popularity. I don't have to be right, first, recognized, praised, regarded, or rewarded. I now live by faith, lean on His presence, walk with patience, am uplifted by prayer, and labor with power. My face is set, my gait is fast, my goal is Heaven. My road is narrow, my way is rough, my companions are few, my guide is reliable, my mission is clear. I cannot be bought, compromised, detoured, lured away, divided or delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice, hesitate in the presence of the adversity, negotiate at the table of the enemy, ponder at the pool of popularity, or meander in the maze of mediocrity. I won't give up, shut up, or let up until I have stayed up, stored up, and paid up for the cause of Christ. I must go till He comes, give till I drop, preach till all know, and work till He stops me. And when He returns for His own, He will have no problem recognizing me. My banner will be clear....

I just really love that quote. I love it so much. Especially the last-ish part. Hard stuff happens. Even as a missionary. We're being tested, refined, and doing our best to grow here. The growth missionaries go through is not done without the sacrifice that it would take any regular person. And I am so grateful I can go through every single hard thing I have gone through, am going through, and will go through so that I may be slowly refined to whom I am to be. I love my Lord and Savior, and I will work until he stops me.

Love,

Elder Porter

1 comment:

  1. Matt sounds so good! We have that quote hanging on our fridge! Someone gave it to Russell before he left. Love it!

    ReplyDelete