Monday, February 7, 2011

February 7, 2011

Man, sometimes I still can't believe that I am on my mission! My life is actually happening, ha!

Things are going well here. The work is very slow, but I am catching on. I'm close to "getting it" I think. I can talk to people comfortably now without hesitating at all. I almost always know what to say, and I'm getting lots better at listening to what the spirit tells me to say. I can honestly say that I love being on my mission, and I am sad that I only have 21ish months left.

Our missions are combining at the end of July, so that is VERY exciting...3/4 of my mission will be spent with the missions having been combined. I hope I get to work in downtown Toronto someday, that would be a whole different experience.

The work here is slow. Especially in a walking area during the winter. It’s real hard to find people who are interested. And people aren't usually too good at using their agency. Super, super sad to see people reject the gospel of Jesus Christ after they have an experience where they should know it is it true. I'm starting to reach that spiritual level a good missionary should be at. I know I am getting closer because when people reject our message, I really do feel sad for them. Not for me, but for them. I honestly feel sad that they are actively choosing to go unaided throughout the rest of their life without the gospel. The teachings of Jesus Christ and his infinite sacrifice will benefit anybody.

I feel like my motivation to be a better missionary has really increased in the past week. After seeing a good investigator whom I was pretty close with randomly decide to reject our message, something switched in me. I don't like to see people go through life without the help of the gospel. I ran into this quote by a past AP here in the Canada Toronto West Mission the other day...

"If great joy is the reward of saving one soul (D&C18:15), then how terrible must be the remorse of those whose timid efforts have allowed a child of God to go unwarned or unaided so that he has to wait till a DEPENDABLE SERVANT OF GOD comes along."......Huh. Who wants to slack off or waste even 1 second after taking that statement to heart? And through the short, short 2 months that I have been in the mission field, I have come to understand in my heart, not just know in my mind, but really know, in my heart, that the source of never ending motivation is understanding the Atonement. I am super imperfect, and so weak without the help of the Lord. I really am nothing, I couldn't be what I do if I didn't have His help. And I have been able to progress like I have and learned what I have learned so far because of the Atonement. It is such a REAL thing! It makes me happy even thinking about it.

Anyways, this coming week will be even better than this past week was. We're going to make something happen with our unstoppable faith, I know it.

Love you all!

Elder Porter

No comments:

Post a Comment