Monday, December 12, 2011

December 12, 2011

This past week we attended a zone conference.  We arrived quite early, so we went over to Lake Ontario to take a few pictures.




Time is ticking. Wayyy too quick. I don't want to be over halfway done. It makes me feel sick a little bit-literally. I wish I could trade places with one of these fresh, new, young missionaries. But at the same time, I'm so glad I've done what I should with the time I've been given. I have held nothing from the Lord. I have reserved nothing.

Some recent thoughts I've had....

Things like old hobbies, girlfriends, bad habits, and doing what you want when you want are among the easiest things to give up. Anybody can give those things up if they want to. Time simply passing can cause you to give those things up.

Another level of dedication is full of giving up truly meaningful things like family, close friendships, and genuine constructive things. They may even be spiritually healthy things like studying the gospel topics that you want to, or focusing on how you can progress in life. They are all good things, and they can only be given up if you have a true testimony. If you know this is God's work, and if you have a true desire to play a part in it.

There is yet another level of consecration. It is the kind of consecration that involves giving up your entire self. Every last fiber of your own will need to be surrendered to the Lord. It is not only accepting the calling to do missionary work, but focusing on it with your mind and your heart, and well as your might and your strength. It is giving up all of your energy as you pray for the investigators that you love with a pure and genuine love, it is giving up literally all personal time to help other missionaries who are struggling around you, it is focusing throughout the day on nothing that doesn't build spiritually and help people progress towards the Savior. It is the kind of focus that Jesus Christ had and the only way to obtain it is through being transformed by the power of the Atonement. I testify that the work of the Master brings greater happiness than anything else. Seeing the Atonement transform people and watching their desire to live a Christ-like life grow brings more lasting and genuine happiness than anything I have experienced. The scriptures are indeed true yet again, saying "he that loseth his life for my sake shall find it." I know the gospel is the way. I know it through the power of the Holy Ghost.

I love my mission. I've talking a little bit about Celine. She is 21, from Germany here learning English, and she is the most wonderful and heavenly investigator I have worked with my entire mission. This last week we have been teaching her the last things she needs to know before baptism. We taught her the Law of Tithing. She has had lots of bad experiences in Germany with giving money to apostate churches and them not using it for good things, hence, she had some major concerns. She wanted to see the church in Germany to make sure it is the same as it is here. She thought the church programs were too good to be true. In the past, she has had powerful experiences praying to know the truth. Knowing the Book of Mormon is true, knowing Joseph Smith was a prophet, and knowing that baptism is something that Heavenly Father wanted her to do were all obtained through praying. We committed her to pray and ponder about tithing and baptism again. My companion and I both fasted and prayed earnestly for her to receive an answer. I don't think I've ever been more focused during a fast my entire life. She was humble enough, and had enough "real intent" that God answered her prayers. She wants to be baptized this coming Sunday! She is so great, and she will be a valuable kingdom builder. I'm so grateful I get to witness prayers being answered and see testimonies grow. This work is the Lords and we are privileged to be a part of it.


-Elder Porter

No comments:

Post a Comment