Monday, June 6, 2011

June 6, 2011

We were finally able to solidify and help a family follow through with the baptism of their two young sons! Keon and Tynan, 9 and 8 year old brothers were baptized yesterday by the Bishop of the ward. What a great experience to see the spiritual strength of a baptism lift a family and help them feel the spirit of the Lord again. I was blessed with the privilege of confirming and blessing both of them. It was a special experience, and the first time I have had that opportunity.

The TRIpanionship is still rolling forth with much power. The area we are serving in is the highest performing area in the mission since I had the privilege of coming here, and with 3 Elders, the power and intensity is still maintaining. We counseled with the ward and the Lord, and we are set on helping 5 of God's children enter the waters of baptism this month (converts), with 3+ dates (converts) set for next month. We are killing average numbers and standards simply because they don't exist. They are all limitations placed on situations by people of little faith and understanding. The 1st of 5 was baptized last night.

Elder Hancock and I have been working with an inactive member of the ward since my 2nd or 3rd day here in Brampton. In the short month or so we've been able to act as his guide in helping him come back into full activity, and he bore his testimony at church yesterday! A special moment for Elder Hancock and myself. In my book a re-activation is just as joyful as a baptism.

We're doing our best to keep faith levels high and expect success. It’s tough a lot of times, but we're doing the best we know how.

As of today, we have 3 baptisms scheduled for June 26 - Part of a Hindu family, and an investigator who has been investigating for 6 or 7 months now. It will be my last Sunday with Elder Hancock, and we'll be pushing to help those people take those steps and finish out our time here STRONG.

Something I have learned more of and understood at a deeper level is the spirit's role of guidance and reassurance. It’s a humbling process to learn how to feel the spirit of the Lord help you make correct decisions, and confirm those decisions with the same feelings. When you read the Holy Scriptures, and you realize the responsibility you have to preach and teach the word of God, you begin to understand the duty you have to do all within your power. Reading scriptures like Jacob 1:19, and Jacob 2:2-3 do a lot to help you feel the weight of your calling. But working in diligence, truly feeling and wanting to complete and finish your role, causes a change in your nature over time. You start to feel the work more, you start to love strangers, you start to see everybody how they really are - children, sons and daughters, brothers and sisters of us and of Father. You strive to do more not because it is a duty, but because you WANT to. You WANT to help people, you WANT to fulfill your calling and do all you can because you love Father. You will begin to have the deep-rooted, strong, and real yearning that Enos had...."And I soon go to the place of my rest, which is with my Redeemer; for I know that in him I shall rest. And I rejoice in the day when my mortal shall put on immortality, and shall stand before him; then shall I see his face with pleasure, and he will say unto me, 'Come unto me, ye blessed, there is a place prepared for you in the mansions of my Father.'"

May we all strive to fulfill our duty. Not out of obligation, but out of love. Weather your duty is working with diligence as a full-time missionary, serving as a Bishop, being a younger brother, a ward clerk, a primary teacher...it doesn't matter. Serve with love. Look at people the way the Savior would, and your Christ-like actions will naturally follow.

Serve God and your fellow-man TODAY, and "elevate the standard"

-E. PORTER

PS!! We just heard there is a DUAL-MISSION-WIDE conference Saturday. All the West mission, and all the East mission will be meeting at the Stake Center ( in my area!  Ha) on Saturday. Elder Ballard will be presiding, and we'll all get to meet him. I will also get to meet Nick Sorensen’s cousin who is serving there as well as Elder Wheadon- a friend from high school. I’ll write more about it next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment