Monday, June 27, 2011

June 27, 2011: President Monson!

This past week we have received so many blessings. It’s been the most packed week of my mission. So many changes, so many exciting and happy things coming our way.

During this past week-

-We found the most prepared, most amazing lady who will be baptized on July 24th.

-We got to listen to President Monson speak at a sacrament meeting! We had investigators there. Awesome.

-We concluded yesterday with 2 baptisms, both of which were amazing!

-We got transfer calls...and I am training a new missionary right from the MTC!

Last Tuesday we had an appointment that nobody showed up for. Whenever someone doesn't come to an appointment, the first thing you need to ask yourself is "Why did the Lord bring me here?" We contacted around the neighborhood, and talked to a lady who was raking her yard. Her name is Laureen, and she is from Jamaica. She is a very smart mother, has a successful life, and has a young son. We talked to her for a few minutes and scheduled a return appointment. We came back and had a very spiritually charged lesson about the Restoration. She accepted everything, no questions asked. We asked her why she didn't have any concerns, she simply responded "I know that you are servants of the Lord, you are His representatives. I shouldn't question anything you tell me or have me do." She proceeded to tell us she had already downloaded the Book of Mormon onto her iPhone and onto her computer at work so she could start reading. She'd spend hours picking apart the websites from the church, and had all her questions answered on there. She said things like "The Lord has been preparing me through the course of my life to hear your message". It was as easy as a practice teaching situation at the MTC. So amazing. She accepted to prepare for baptism on July 24. The date could very well be switched around before then, but that is the standing plan. Amazing day.

The week went along as normal, filled with hard work. President Monson came to Ontario to dedicate the new church camp in Peterbourough. He decided to come speak at the Mississauga Stake Center for one of their sacrament meetings. We as missionaries had a heads up and we got permission to go if we brought investigators. We brought some people, and we got to listen to a prophet speak to us! He is such a nice, sweet man. He talked about love, service, and faith. Very inspiring. He shook everybody's hand on the way out. Great experience.

Later that same day, we finished off the transfer with 2 baptisms!

Damine, who has been investigating for over 7 months finally decided to get baptized. His wife is very Hindu, but is very supportive. At the baptism, she bore her testimony about how the things the missionaries have shared with Damine have changed him to be a new person. It was a very spiritually packed service. It was a great sight to see him in the water.



Annie was baptized later that day. She is 11, and came to live with a family in the ward after her life was shattered from the earthquake in Haiti where she lived until a year or so ago. The baptism was great, and lots of the ward members attended.



With all the news and exciting things happening, we almost forgot that transfer calls were the same night. We got a call from President Brower, who asked for Elder Hancock first. Everybody in the whole zone figured he was going zone leader somewhere, he is an amazing missionary. After Elder Hancock talked to him, he handed me the phone and said he wanted to talk to me, I was surprised, and didn't know why. President Brower went on to tell me that I will be training a new missionary straight from the MTC. I am going senior companion and training in Brampton Heart Lake where I currently am. Elder Roberts is moving on, so I've got the area all to myself. The new Elder is from Germany, and that’s all I know. I'm very excited and also very nervous. I hope I can handle the highest performing area in the mission with a brand new missionary. I figure if I work as hard as I can, remain humble and never forget where our blessings and power comes from I'll make it through okay.

All in all debatably the most exciting week of my life. I've been out 7.5 months, and there are probably only 10 missionaries younger than me in the whole mission and I am training. It caught me off guard but it will be a great experience. I love being a missionary and know the work I am doing is for the Lord!

Ps. Did you know about the Canadian mail strike? I think its been almost 4 weeks now...no letters have gone in or out of the country at all. Or moved around inside. It is beginning to create a huge problem with rent and bills and stuff. It could get crazy if it continues. Huge inconvenience. Especially for missionaries.

-E. PORTER

No comments:

Post a Comment