Monday, June 13, 2011

June 13, 2011

This last Saturday we were able to be a part of a very special experience! The whole Canada Toronto West Mission and the whole Canada Toronto East Missions were joined for a day in a conference directed by the one and only Elder Ballard. Over 200 missionaries were in a single room! Simply walking through the crowd of missionaries you could feel something special and powerful. What a blessing to be a part of such a great work as this.

One of my personal highlights was that I was able to spend some time with Elder Tanner Wheadon from back home! He's been out about 3 months longer than I. He has been serving in the East mission. It was so strange, but so nice to see somebody from home right in the middle of my whole mission experience. Pretty crazy. He's the only person I've seen in 7 months that I knew previous to leaving home. Blast from the past. It is possible that we will get the chance to serve with one another once the missions combine this coming July. You never know, right?

Something interesting that I experienced was the joy of seeing past missionary companions and friends during this conference! As I look back over the past 7 months, it doesn't seem like it’s been all that long-but SO much has happened. I've done so much work, made so many changes in myself, and grown a lot. The joy of seeing missionaries I worked around in the past was so great! Every time you turned around you walked into somebody who you dearly miss and want to spend a few minutes with again simply remembering good times together. I realized how many amazing relationships I have made while I've been here, and how much they all truly do mean to me. It makes you think about what Heaven will be like! Rejoining with family and loved ones will be such a special time. Even seeing Elder Wheadon for the first time since high school...we weren't close friends. We knew each other and would say hello...but since we've both experienced a similar transformation that comes from the gospel of Jesus Christ, and we've both instituted that foundation into our lives, I can honest say that I love him and everybody I've ever known so incredibly much more than I did before I went through this experience. I can't wait for the time where I come home from my mission, and get to rebuild my relationships with others. The gospel brings so many blessings. We are so blessed to have this in our lives.

Besides the amazing reunions and instruction, and the baptism a week ago, things are in a bit of a rough patch still. The work has been slower than normal, and we're doing our best to get to the root of the problem instead of poking at the symptoms. It helps you remember that no matter how good or bad things are-there will always be opposition in everything.

We've still got a baptism of a man who has been investigating for much too long-his name is Damine. He is quite a character.  I've loved working with him and watching him progress to the point he is at now with having a desire to be baptized. His scheduled baptismal date is June 26.

The Indian family we've been seeing is moving very slowly-but still in a positive direction. Their baptismal date of June 26 will need to be moved back until we can help them have solid testimonies of Jesus Christ and of the Sabbath day.

I have loved the time I've spent as a missionary. We have 2 weeks left of this transfer, and some big changes will be happening in my life. My companion has been here for 7.5 months, which is much longer than normal. He's gone for sure. The TRIpanionship will almost for sure be split up. It will be very interesting and exciting to see what happens. You never know with President Brower and the Lord. They make quite a team.

Love,

E. PORTER

Note:  Here are some additional pictures Matt sent:
Baptism of 8 year old and 9 year old brothers.  The Bishop baptized them and Matt confirmed them.  They have been teaching their family.


Matt and his Sikh friends



Matt and companions with the Lau Family in the Heartlake Ward

No comments:

Post a Comment