Sunday, December 2, 2012

I Have Been Transformed

November 10, 2012

What a great week!

We have been as busy as ever over the past 7 days, and in the coming weeks there will be more and more going on. Luckily we are making time for proselyting and we are being blessed for it. We have been blessed with a new investigator this past week. He is from Colombia and has been in Canada for a few years now. He has been a spiritual guy most of his life. Our teaching experience with him has been very unique. In our second visit we taught him the law of the fast and committed him to fast this coming Sunday for a witness that he should be baptized this month. The next visit we taught the Word of Wisdom and the Law of Chastity. I have come to more fully understand the power that comes from bearing your witness of the living Savior. In both of those lessons where the content was mostly modern commandments, the highlighted principle was that of the Atonement. Testifying of the divinity of Jesus Christ brings power and understanding sufficient for those who we teach to keep commitments, change their lives, and qualify for baptism. The requirements in D&C 20:37 are starting to come into place for him as he keeps commitments that he promised to keep because he understood the role of Christ. Building off of that, I have a testimony of what President Packer teaches in Preach My Gospel - "True doctrine, understood, changes attitudes and behavior. The study of the doctrines of the gospel will improve behavior quicker than a study of behavior will improve behavior." I testify that knowledge and understanding brings change. No wonder our covenants that we enter into at the baptismal font, the sacrament table, when the higher Priesthood is received, and at the temple all point towards constantly remembering Christ. Remembrance allows our priorities to be put into the order that Christ would have them. I leave my testimony of his divinity.

Other than our proselyting, we exchanged two zones this week. Sudbury, which is 4 hours north of Toronto, and Ossington, which is right downtown. The culture differences between the two are remarkable. Downtown Toronto cannot be explained. The cultural differences and diversity that is there is unbelievable. It is a wicked place, like many other cities in the world. The gospel is needed!

The growth, knowledge, and progression that I have experienced in myself and in others is incredible. I am happy to have been transformed, and have had my views, perspective, and intentions brought more in line with Him who loves me perfectly. The gospel plan and its laws are the definition of perfection. In the final months of my mission I have experienced something quite remarkable. My focus has stayed here on the work, the people, and the missionaries, but my desires to excel and reach my potential after my mission has dramatically increased. My desire to magnify my calling, forfeit my time, talents, and all that I have been blessed with or may be blessed with to the Lord's organization on earth has grown more than I ever thought it would. I feel the spirit tugging me and preparing me for what lies ahead. I have clear expectations of what Heavenly Father wants. I can't wait to apply in a different way all that I have learned and gained here.

Until next week-

Elder Porter

No comments:

Post a Comment