Wednesday, February 22, 2012

February 6, 2012

A beautiful winter continues to bless us here in Toronto! The weather, just like Utah, has been unusually sunny and dry. I've only broken out my boots 4 times so far-it’s been great. The weather rarely drops below 20F-ish. We've had a few cold days but it’s been nice overall. It helps us smile more when it’s not freezing.

I love my mission. Right now the work is slower than we would like. We've hit some challenges, but are striving to move forward. I have grown to love the area I am in, and will be devastated if I get a call to leave. I love my District, my area, my investigators, my ward, and the remarkable people who travel to Toronto from all over the world.

Lately most of our work has been moving towards finding efforts. Rather than being out in the cold for hours on end tracting, we have the option of moving into big tall apartment buildings. 10, 20, 30 story buildings are common to tract in the city. There is never a lack of people in the city which is nice as well. There are always packed buses and subways at night that are full of people to talk to. It is so different from Utah here that I might have a culture shock going back someday! We rarely talk to true Canadians, almost everyone is from over-seas. Lots of people from the Philippines, Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan, China, Western Africa, the Caribbean, and pretty much every other place you can imagine. It is incredible.

Today I simply want to bear my testimony about prayer. I know prayers are heard and answered. Heavenly Father manages our lives to such small details; we will be astounded when we come someday to realize how deeply he was involved. If we are humble and pray with real intent, then He will answer us! I have faced a particular challenge in my companionship lately. It has been slowing down our missionary work and has been causing tension. I have many times wondered what the solution for our problem is. I have also wondered why I am still in my current area. Why I am with my current companion. What lesson am I supposed to learn from being here? What trait am I supposed to develop? What am I supposed to accomplish? I have many times gone to bed feeling lonely or discouraged because I didn't have answers for these questions. I haven't seen the success in the past month or two that I would like to see and I have been looking for what purpose I was fulfilling, if any. I had forgotten who is really in charge-who manages our individual lives and who directs specifically a mission by revelation. I wasn't able to find my answers until I fully turned to Him for help.

As we put our trust in Heavenly Father he can give us the answers we seek. Consistently throughout the past week my answer has come through scripture study, through experiences in my missionary work, and through new ideas come into my heart as I pray sincerely. I have my solution and I will work hard to fulfill the divine purpose I have being where I am. He will help each of us overcome feelings of doubt or fear. Many times we do not know ALL we are supposed to do, or HOW we are supposed to do it. Many times the only thing He reveals to us is the final result that surely comes from being faithful. With faith in the final result, we can move forward, being "led by the Spirit, not knowing beforehand the things which [we] must do." I testify that the Lord is mindful of us, and that he has given us a view of the final result, if we are faithful. Think of the temple's blessings. Think of your Patriarchal blessing. Think of the Plan of Salvation. We can have faith in the final result, and move forward as He would have us do.

Love,

Elder Porter

No comments:

Post a Comment