Monday, April 4, 2011

April 4, 2011

This past week has been a real interesting one. I feel like I learned a LOT. Conference this past weekend along with the personal whisperings of the spirit combined together to make this past conference wonderful. I learned many things I need to do as a missionary, as well as a child of God. I'm very grateful for the opportunity that we have to listen to living apostles and prophets. How lucky we are. I'm so grateful, and I testify of the truth that we have in the Church of Jesus Christ. The truth that we possess is often taken for granted, or not understood as much as it really should be. The more and more I learn and the longer and longer I am on my mission serving the Lord 100% of the time, the more and more I realize I have a testimony. The more and more I realize we have ordained servants of prophets of our Lord. The more and more I realize WE HAVE THE TRUTH. Words can't express the wonderful things I've learned about myself and about the gospel during my short 4.5 month time I've had to serve my Master.

I did learn an interesting lesson this week. Well...more like had a lesson re-confirmed in my heart and spirit. Faith is the power by which the Lord rolls forth His will among His children. It’s pretty simple actually. If you don't have faith, nothing will happen. If you have faith in a righteous, inspired goal, it will happen. Pretty simple, eh? (ha). My good companion is a GREAT guy. Great sense of humor, great personality, lots of fun. But this past week there was a very apparent lack of faith. He and I are joined by a spiritual power during the time we serve together. If one of us has faith, and the other doesn't...then our companionship doesn't. It’s a win-together, lose-together situation. Conference was a wonder opportunity we had, together as a companionship, to discuss and talk about things we could prayerfully implement in our missionary work to help us find more success. I DO know from the past, that AS WE SHOW OUR FAITH (faith is an ACTION word, my friends) then we can and WILL accomplish the Lords will. Whether we are missionaries or regular church members. The lesson I've learned is that we must follow Christ’s teachings to accomplish His will. A big part of His teaching is developing Christ-like attributes. Every Christ-like attribute is an ACTION word, or a verb. You cannot develop something, or become something without doing it. We've got to ACT, and NOT BE ACTED UPON. If we do, we will act as tools in the Masters hands, mouthpieces in His mouth, and we will be able to fulfill our divine calling of being the sacred vessels in which His spirit, and His will will be accomplished. It’s our duty and privilege. I know the Lord is REAL. I know he LIVES. His influence is ETERNAL. And we must RISE TO THE STANDARD to accomplish what he has set us out to do.

As I show forth my faith this week, we will find success and progression. This past week, every single person in our teaching pool got sick right before conference. Coincidence? I think NOT! Very frustrating. We've dropped lots of our investigators, including one from the past who was almost baptized. It’s the second time we've dropped her. She blew her second chance. So sad. We've got 2 not-so-much-progressing investigators, BOTH with baptismal dates. They will be postponed if things don’t get moving. We're teaching an AMAZING 14 year old girl. Cried to her mom frequently to be baptized. We haven't gotten the ok-go YET. We'll be working with her this coming week.

Out of time. Love you all!


RAISE THE STANDARD

E. PORTER

No comments:

Post a Comment