Monday, January 3, 2011

January 3, 2011

January 3, 2011

This week was hard. It was cold and wet and long. Nobody was out because of the holidays, and the bus schedules were messed up so we ended up walking everywhere. The temperature was hovering around freezing, but it was raining for some reason. New Years day was horribly difficult. We had 7 finding hours. I was wet and cold and tired and hungry and got a little bit sick from it. I hope someday I get used to always being horribly cold.

The good thing is that our investigator is still on track to be baptized on January 15th! She came to church yesterday, and the first thing she said to us was "I've decided I'm going to quit drinking!" So that is wonderful. We hadn't really taught the Word of Wisdom yet, so we are stoked about that. We just mentioned it last time we met. She is super sold and on track and willing to change her life. It is such a testimony strengthener to see complete strangers to the church feel the spirit, and just decide to change things. They say it just seems like the right thing to do. Once your heart feels the spirit, you won't ever be the same. The gospel truly, truly does change people, and change lives and alters the eternities for people who accept it.

Last time I wrote, I was on travels with Elder Call, my district leader. The day ended up going awesome. I learned tons by seeing a different missionary work, and he is super solid. He's going home in 8 weeks. Wierrrrd.

So the on Wednesday, I got a surprise call from one of the Assistants to the President, Elder McKee. He informed me that we were going on "surprise travels". I was actually kind of nervous, which is stupid, but it’s true. He is such an AMAZING missionary. So ridiculously powerful. So good at teaching and street contacting. The day was just super solid and I learned more than I can say from him. He's a perfect missionary to try to strive to be like. He said some really nice things to me at the end of the day, which is nice to hear after days and days of people hating you. Things get discouraging sometimes. It’s all just a test. No matter how hard things get always be willing to keep your faith in Christ and Heavenly Father, and it will all work out. He may simply be trying to push you to your limit, so you can grow stronger.

Keep missionaries in your prayers please. We could not do half of what we do without all the spiritual support. It’s impossible to explain, but you can literally feel the prayers making you stronger. There aren't words to explain it. But it’s real. I can't deny my testimony and what I know without a doubt to be true. Love you all so much. Do what’s right! Be good.

With much love,

Elder Porter

No comments:

Post a Comment