Monday, January 17, 2011

January 17, 2011

Missions are hard. I'm actually really proud that as many people finish them as they do. I respect RM's approximately a bazillion times more than I did 2 months ago. Oh, by the way, today is my 2 month mark! Time flies by, it really does.

Elder Lee and I have an investigator that is SUPER close to baptism. Her date was moved to January 29 because a few things came up, but the new date is looking very solid. She knows God wants her to follow through with this, and she has a strong desire to do what God wants her to. It is great to feel the TRUE and REAL joy and happiness that comes from the fruits of the gospel. It is such an amazing feeling to see and feel for the first time that my efforts are actually changing and making real people’s lives better forever. When you start to see and feel this, EVERYTHING you do that is hard becomes worth it.

My companion and a few others from my Zone went to leadership training during this past week. I was put with a Spanish Elder for Tuesday and Wednesday. His name is Elder Germann. And he is a stud. Seriously. He has been in the field for 6 weeks longer than me and he is probably the best missionary I've seen so far. He is so, so young and so good. We got along so well, and worked so well together. I was legitimately sad after those 2 days that I couldn't spend more time with him. We both learned a ton, and those 2 days were jam packed with the spirit, and effective and fruitful missionary work. I really hope I get to serve with him doing zebra work, or in some sort of leadership someday in the future.

The biggest thing that has hit me in the past little bit is the reality of what I am doing. It is hard when you go a few days in a row with not one person being happy to see you. It gets to you sometimes. You get so lonely sometimes. You really need to work hard to keep from getting too down. Everything is just intense. The highs are so high, and the lows are so low. Feeling lonely is a big tool Satan hits missionaries with. Because if you are down and lonely, you can't feel the spirit as strongly. It is a real thing. Satan knows us so well, he works on missionaries, and pounds people who are at the fork road in their life, choosing to accept the gospel or not. It is a very real thing. Being here just solidifies my testimony so much.

I know that God is real. He knows each and every one of us. He knows our weaknesses, our strengths, our downfalls and our triumphs. He wants us to succeed and come unto him. He is a God of simplicity, not of confusion. He has provided a simple, easy way to come to know him. Many people don't believe he is there because it is so easy. Just go with what you feel when you pray, read your scriptures, and strive to come closer to him. It is impossible to not feel something.

My mission has been far from the best times of my life far. But there is no time of my life where I have learned, grown, and changed more than I ever have. I wouldn't trade these past 2 very hard months for anything in the world. I can hardly imagine what the next 22 months hold in store. I can't wait. Keep praying for the missionaries. We cannot do it without you. Seriously.

Love you all, don't do stupid stuff!

Love, Elder Porter


NOTE FROM MATT'S MOM: 
  I think this would be an excellent time to send him a letter!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment